Brownell, C.J., Sheridan, D.M., & Scales, C. (2018). (Re)Mediating unheard resonances: Tracing the rhythms of aurality in communities, Educational Studies. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/00131946.2018.1476355
Brownell, C.J. (2018). From sheltering to social change: Critical conversations in childhood, Literacy Today.
Brownell, C. J. (2018). Starting where you are, revisiting what you know: A letter to a first-year teacher addressing the hidden curriculum, Journal of Curriculum and Pedagogy. 14(3), 205-217. doi: 10.1080/15505170.2017.1398697
Brownell, C. J. (2018). (Re)Imagining children’s writing: Creative language play(giarism) in the elementary English language arts classroom, Language Arts. 65(4), 218-228.
Brownell, C. J. (2017). Mandated curricula as figured world: A case-study of identity, power, and writing in elementary English language arts, English Teaching: Practice & Critique. 16(2), 252-267. doi: 10.1108/ETPC-10-2016-0131
- Brownell, C. J. & Wargo, J. M. (2017). (Re)Educating the senses to community literacies: Prospective teachers using sound to listen for difference. In Mahiri, J. (Ed.), Special Issue: Cyber-lives: Digital Media and Multicultural Education, Multicultural Education Review. doi: 10.1080/2005615X.2017.1346559
- Brownell, C. J. (2017). “I don’t know a lot of Spanish, but I’m learning”: Language identity in the elementary English language arts classroom, The Reading Teacher. doi: 10.1002/trtr.1591
- Marshall, S. & Brownell, C. J. (2015). Looking back to look ahead: How federal legislation has impacted state testing. Michigan Reading Journal, 47(2), 56-57.
- Brownell, C. J. (2017). How urban education choice campaigns in Detroit masqueraded as equity and social justice and worsened the status quo. In G.Q. Conchas, B.M. Hinga, & M. Gottfied (Eds.), Policy goes to school: Case studies on the possibilities and limitations of educational innovations. Routledge.
- Brownell, C. J. & Coles, J. A. (2016). "Coloring" within the lines: Implications for practicing color blindness (pp. 260-279). In J. Diem (Ed.), The social & cultural foundations of education: A reader. San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.
Recent Refereed Conference and Paper Presentations:
- Brownell, C. J. (2018, April). Sound the alarm!: Disrupting resonances of a third grade classroom. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York City, NY.
Brownell, C. J. (2018, April). Cultivating contemplative constituents: A case study of children composing in an era of (im)migration. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York City, NY.
Thiel, J. J., Buchholz, B. A., Husbye, N., Rust, J., Wessel-Powell, C., Wohlwend, K., Pennington, C., Scott, J., Woods, A., Yoon, H., & Brownell, C. J. (2018, April). Playful possibilities of the #playrevoution: Narrating necessary stories of literacies in play. SIG: Writing & Literacies. Symposium presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York City, NY.
- Brownell, C. J., Sheridan, D. M., Ceraso, S., & Boyle, C. (2018, March). Sonic languaging: Researching, teaching, and writing sound. Panel presented at the Conference on College Composition and Communication’s annual convention, Kansas City, MO.
- Brownell, C. J., Yoon, H., Templeton, T., & Buchholz, B. (2017, December). Beyond conventions: (Re)Mediating meaningful literacies by centering young children. Invited panel presented at the annual conference of the Literacy Research Association, Tampa Bay, Florida.
- Brownell, C. J., Kennett, K., Wessel Powell, C., Buchholz, B., & Honeyford, M. (2017, December). (Re)Making meaningfulness while cultivating expertise: How in-service teachers critically negotiate restrictive policies, Time(s), and Space(s). Panel presented at the annual conference of the Literacy Research Association, Tampa Bay, Florida.
- Brownell, C. J. (2017, December). Reading and writing creative language play(giarism): Exploring elementary children’s writing. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Literacy Research Association, Tampa Bay, Florida.
- Brownell, C. J., Haas, J., Jensen, J., & Salome, L. (2017, November). Bringing meaning to writing: Creating engaged writers with culturally sustaining writing instruction. Panel presented at the annual conference of the National Council of Teachers of English, St. Louis, MO.
- Brownell, C. J., Yoon, H., & Templeton, T. (2017, October). Plying the frame, playing with photography: Young children’s images as a play on identity. Panel presented at the annual conference of the Reconceptualizing Early Childhood Education, Toronto, Canada.
For a complete list of conference presentations, please download my CV.
Media Appearances & Digital Work
- Invited Contributor. “Tuning in to the community: Using digital devices to amplify school sounds.” ILA Technology in Literacy Education blog. June 2018. https://www.literacyworldwide.org/blog/literacy-daily/2018/06/22/tuning-in-to-the-community-using-digital-devices-to-amplify-school-sounds
- Invited Contributor. “‘Dismantling hate, assembling community: Growing a critical professional learning network.” ILA Technology in Literacy Education blog. August 2017. https://www.literacyworldwide.org/blog/literacy-daily/2017/08/18/dismantling-hate-assembling-community-growing-a-critical-professional-learning-network
- Invited Contributor. “‘(Re)Locating soundscapes of schooling: Learning to listen to children’s lifeworlds.” SoundingOut! blog. August 2017. https://soundstudiesblog.com/2017/08/07/relocating-soundscapes-of-schooling/
- Invited Contributor. “‘Reel’ literacies: Student selfie-videos as tools for literacy engagement.” ILA Technology in Literacy Education blog. November 2016. http://literacyworldwide.org/blog/literacy-daily/2016/10/28/reel-literacies-student-selfie-videos-as-literacy-engagement-tools
- Invited Participant. “Multimodal moments and making compositions move.” Participant alongside of Matthew Hall, Rohit Mehta, Jon M. Wargo, Troy Hicks, and Amber White. 4T Virtual Conference on Digital Writing: Teachers Teaching Teachers about Technology. October 2016. http://www.4tdwvirtualcon.com/sunday-october-9-2016.html
- Invited Participant. “HearMyHome: Exploring the soundscapes of networked teaching and learning.” Participant alongside of Jon M. Wargo, Paul Allison, and W. Ian O’Byrne. Teachers Teaching Teachers TV. Episode 486, Spring 2016. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29QzmFUVAsQ
- Invited Contributor. “SO! Amplifies: #hearmyhome and the soundscapes of the everyday.” SoundingOut! blog. March 2016. https://soundstudiesblog.com/2016/03/14/so-amplifies-hearmyhome-and-the-soundscapes-ofthe-everyday/